What does your body need more than anything and can’t live without? You guessed it! Water. Water is the healthiest drink you can give your body, yet so many people turn to high calorie and high sugar drinks to hydrate themselves. Unfortunately, those flavorful drinks come with a cost, and I’m not talking about the price you pay at the register. I’m talking about the added pounds, the added fat in our bellies, thighs, arms, etc.
So if it is a well known fact, why is it that we still don’t drink the recommended amount daily? Is it that we’re so busy, or that it doesn’t taste as good as the other stuff, or that we just don’t think it’s that important to our health. So losing weight isn’t the only benefit, but we have to admit a definite plus!
Here are a few benefits of drinking water according to, CDC.gov:
- Helps the digestive system release toxins or waste by perspiration, bowel movements, and urination.
- It helps regulate body temperature which is essential in maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Protects organ tissues as well as your spinal cord.
- Helps to keep those joints lubricated.
Other benefits, I’ve noticed when I drink water as recommended include:
- Healthier looking skin
- Feeling lighter
- Higher concentration
- Less hunger
- Reduced anxiousness
So how much water should you be drinking?
So, how much water should you be drinking? You should be drinking about half your weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150lbs you should be drinking at least 75 ounces of water per day or about 9 to 9 1/2 – 8oz glasses per day.
You should drink water in between meals to help your digestive system as well as drinking with meals or right before meals to help your body feel fuller.
As I mentioned earlier, water seems boring compared to the sodas, juices, or so many other drinks out there right. So how can you make drinking water a little easier?
Here are a few tips to make your water more flavorful.
- Add lemon to your water, it gives it a refreshing citrus taste.
- Add fruits or berries to your drink for some natural flavors.
- Add cucumbers or mint to give it a fresh or minty taste
I hope you enjoyed this read and the tips included. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Your waistline and your organs will thank you as well!!